Senior Spotlight: Mateo Gomez

Lucrezia Santini
Mateo on the main steps of Wheeling Park short after his arrival.

Mateo Gomez is a foreign exchange student at Park who is spending his final weeks in America as the school year wraps up. Mateo has spent his time playing soccer, and lacrosse, and is a member of the quiz bowl team. Throughout his time at Park, Mateo has loved experiencing new activities. 

“My favorite part about living in America is living with my host family, meeting new people, and playing sports at Park,” said Mateo. 

Specifically, Mateo has found himself immersed in the American world of sports. He has played both soccer and lacrosse this school year. 

“What I really like about sports here is how involved the students are with it. The school spirit is really impressive. It’s always nice to see the students getting involved,” said Mateo.

Not only has Mateo spent his time on the field, he has also enjoyed the wonderful amenities Park has to offer. 

“The football games, traditions, and dances have all been really fun,” 

Many of Mateo’s friends have loved having him around; not only have they enjoyed learning about his foreign culture, but they see him as a kind and loyal friend.

“Mateo is just a great person. My favorite memory is laughing with that dude. I mean Mateo is just Mateo, everyone knows him,” said Ivan Zang. 

“He has a nice smile and he is super witty. He makes us all laugh,” said Henleigh Shia.

“He has a great work ethic,” said Sammie Ashmore. 

Mr. Turbanic, Mateo’s marketing teacher, has loved having Mateo in class. He will always remember his hard-working attitude in the classroom. 

“I think Mateo is well rounded, cultured. I think he’s exciting to talk to, his passion for learning and other people is infectious. People can learn a lot when they just sit and talk to him,” said Mr. Turbanic. 

Even through the hardships of entering an entirely different culture, Mateo has made the most of his Park experience and says he will remember it forever.