Senior Spotlight: Chloe Humway

Chloe Humway
Chloe Humway, Class of 2024

Chloe Humway, despite being a member of the press for only a year, has had major impacts on the program. As the social media manager, she is held accountable for the majority of our posts across social media platforms, especially our new TikTok account. This can be a full time job, and her efforts are especially impressive considering her short time as a staff member. However, during her time at WPHS, she’s achieved much more than this. 

Perhaps most notable of all her accomplishments was her involvement on the speech and debate team. Humway is a three year member and co-captain of our award winning speech and debate team. As a captain, she’s made huge impacts on the team. Whether being an individual state champion for three consecutive years, advising fellow team members, or organizing special events, she’s contributed an immense amount of time, effort, and energy to the team. 

“I loved watching Chloe become the state champion in oratory her junior year. Also, Chloe was state champion senior year in informative. She was also our co-captain this year and displayed her leadership potential. She was named a National Speech and Debate Academic All American, which only 2% of NSDA members achieve,” Ms. Mathieu, a coach of the speech and debate team said. 

Chloe Humway and Jana Schodzinski celebrate the completion of the road to 44 state speech and debate championships. (Wave Humway)

Aside from her achievements, Humway looks back on her high school years with fond memories of the education that prepared her for adulthood. Specifically, she reveals that the teacher who made the biggest impact on her life during her time here at park was Mr. Howard, a history teacher. 

“[Mr. Howard] actually liked what he taught. You could tell he had a passion for it. He was one of the most realistic teachers that taught me about day to day life,” Humway said. 

“[I would describe Chloe as] someone who is very rambunctious, someone who really lights up a room, who’s good natured, who can develop really nice interpersonal relationships with others, and an individual who’s dedicated to learning, uplifting, and enhancing the learning experiences for her fellow students. She was really interested in me as a person rather than just as a teacher, that meant a lot,” Howard said. 

The ways in which Humway uplifts and connects with her peers is an accomplishment in and of itself. This is shown through her excellent relationships with other WPHS students. 

“[Chloe and I] met in a class our sophomore year. My favorite memory with her is when we would hang out together at Perkin’s after speech tournaments. She is very confident, and she has a great sense of humor,” Addy Bommer, a senior here at WPHS, said. 

Naturally, Chloe has big plans for the future, and these aspirations are supported by her peers and advisors as she enters this new chapter of her life. 

“I plan to attend Point Park University to major in public relations, advertising, and social media. High school has prepared me for this primarily by teaching me how to handle all individuals in a kind and professional manner,” Humway said. 

“I would tell Chloe to always be herself. Don’t make yourself smaller for anyone. Fight for the things you believe in,” Mathieu said.

Don’t make yourself smaller for anyone. Fight for the things you believe in.

— Ms. Mathieu

“Good luck, and hopefully she sticks with the idea of speech, debate, literature, and history. She seems like she’s cut out 100% for the humanities,” Howard said. 

“Keep being you,” Bommer said. 

Humway is sure to achieve great things in life, and WPHS is very lucky to have had the opportunity to witness her growth throughout her high school career. Good luck, Chloe!