Elliana Mccabe looks back on the 2023-2024 school year.
A Year in Review
May 16, 2024
Custom canva design
Take It From Us
May 16, 2024
Runners gliding over hurdles.
Track States
May 15, 2024

Park Profile: Michael Contraguerro

Stories featuring people in and around our community doing their ordinary but extraordinary things.

The name, Michael Contraguerro Sr., brings smiles to the faces of all Wheeling Inhabitants. Michael cannot exit his home without coming across countless friends. He is known as an avid member of his church, a family man, and is a wonderful friend to all who come in contact with him. However, Michael is most known for the business he started when he was a young man, The Flooring Center.

The booming business had a very interesting start. “I was just out of school when I got a job at L.S Goods. I applied for a job in the clothing department, but I was placed in the carpet department instead,” said Contraguerro. “It was while I was working this job that I found that flooring was something that I was interested in, and from then on decided to create my own flooring business. It was 1974 when all of my hard work had paid off and the store opened for business.”

After the store’s very successful opening, the small business began to gain many loyal customers. It was at this time, a few years into running the business, Michael found that his love of business was not his only motivation. “When I sold flooring I found that I was not just selling flooring, I was making friends as I did. Every single customer I had, became a new friend. I never forgot the face of a client, and if I saw one out and about I would always have a great conversation,” said Contraguerro.

The Flooring Center is a family owned and operated business. Michael has been a family oriented person from day one. “When my children reached the age when they could begin to work, I didn’t hesitate to hire them to work for me. Working with my family has been an experience of a lifetime,” said Contraguerro.

Michael has four kids, all of whom have worked for the company at some point in their lives. The most important thing in life to Michael is spending time with his family every chance he gets and finding friends wherever he goes.
The Flooring Center is still alive and well today and is owned by Michael Jr. and David Contraguerro. It is located 2512 Jacob St.

View Comments (1)
$150
$500