Bowling Strikes Out the Competition

Taylor Andrews
The 2024 Bowling Team

The Wheeling Park High School bowling team participated in the OVACs tournament on January 27, 2024.

The boys team won the tournament while girls placed fourth.

Coach Kevin Orth talked about winning OVACs with a team that is only two years old.

We practiced and practiced and it helped that we were all bowling really good… and we did it all for Devin.

— Zac Davis

“It was really exciting,” said Orth. “We knew we could win but we didn’t know if we were going to win going into it because there were some really good teams… Everybody stepped up.”

Orth also discussed his favorite part of working with the players.

“I would say their work ethic… everybody took it pretty seriously,” Orth said. “They were getting better for themselves but they were also trying to be better to help out the team.”

On top of the boys team winning, senior Zac Davis was also the top-scoring boy of the entire tournament

“That was really, really exciting,” Orth said. “Especially because [he] won this year, but we found that was the highest score ever recorded. So we’ve only been a team for two years, but it’s been an OVAC sport for like eighteen years… and then we also had the second place finisher as well, which was pretty cool.”

Davis talked about winning not only individually, but also as a team.

“It was surreal and amazing,” Davis said. “We practiced and practiced and it helped that we were all bowling really good… and we did it all for Devin.”

Davis also bowled the game with late teammate Devin Sovinsky’s ball.

So we’ve only been a team for two years, but it’s been an OVAC sport for like eighteen years… and then we also had the second place finisher as well, which was pretty cool.

— Kevin Orth

With the OVACs win, the bowling team has also been qualified for Nationals.

“We’re gonna go to Nationals in June,” Orth said. “It’s in Lancaster, PA. The top two teams from every state are able to go, so we’re gonna go to that and see how we do.”

With a victory at OVACs and Nationals on the horizon, the Park bowling team has a promising future ahead of them.