Club Spotlight: Green Club

Club Spotlight: Green Club

“We do a variety of different projects like [collecting] contact lens cases, gogo squeeze pouches, and tide bottles,” said Ms. Hempelmann, the teacher who runs Green Club. “We have been trying to push ‘ban the bottle’ campaign to promote reusable water bottles and cut down on plastic waste.” 

— Ms. Hempelmann

As Earth Day approaches, people everywhere start to care more and more about the environment, cutting back on non-reusable water bottles and recycling. People usually try to ditch their usual plastic straws or throw a can in the recycling bin for a day. For the students involved in the WPHS green club, the environment is a year-long concern. By advocating for environmental action and taking steps to make their community a greener and healthier place, Green Club is all about focusing on what each person can do to benefit the earth. 

Mrs. Hemplemman is a huge advocate for reusable water bottles and even has free water bottles for the students of Wheeling Park available in her room. Though eliminating plastic waste and usage is important, Green Club focuses on improving the environment in all aspects. 

“In the three years that I’ve run Green Club, we have done paper recycling [and] we started recycling through Terra Cycle,” said Mrs. Hempelmann.

Through these efforts, Green Club has been able to improve the environment of communities as well. They are scheduling trash pick-up days in the future for when the weather is warmer and working on organizing Earth Day events to benefit the environment and community. If you or anyone you know wants to help out Green Club and benefit our earth, donate your plastic waste or paper to Mrs. Hempelmann in room 304. Although the club is small, population-wise, the members are still passionate about the activities they are involved in.

“I like helping out my community and the people around me by decluttering the earth and making the world a greener place,” said senior Faith Randolph. 

In years prior, members have sold Pura Vida bracelets throughout the school, using the money to plant trees, feed hungry children, and reduce carbon emissions through different organizations. Green Club members know that anyone can help the environment by helping the Green Club, whether it’s donating the leftover papers in your folder or riding the bus to decrease your carbon footprint. Through tiny steps like these, Green Club members have made the world a better, cleaner, place.