A Second Chance For Breakfast At Park: Second-Chance Vending Machines

If you are a student of Wheeling Park, or even if you know someone who goes to Park, you have probably heard about the infamous second-chance breakfast. Especially how it was “taken away” from the students of Park during the 2023-2024 school year.

“The machines are refrigerated so it’s going to be cold items only or shelf-stable items, so the breakfast bars, yogurt, potentially string cheese, and maybe hard-boiled eggs.”

— Renee Griffin

In years past, students were able to order from a combination of breakfast items after second period had ended in developmental guidance. When students arrived back at school in August of 2023, some were shocked to see that that option had been removed and students were now only allowed to acquire their breakfast before first period began. To combat the distraught feelings that the removal of second chance breakfast evoked in students, there are plans to install new breakfast vending machines around the halls of Park. 

Ohio County Child Nutrition Director, Renee Griffin, explains what these new machines are. “They don’t accept any money and no adult can purchase meals, these are for students only and they have to use their ID card to scan in order to get the meal,” says Griffin. “The machines are refrigerated so it’s going to be cold items only or shelf-stable items, so the breakfast bars, yogurt, potentially string cheese, and maybe hard-boiled eggs.”

Students of Wheeling Park have been very upset over the original removal of second-chance and seem to be happy that the second-chance famine is soon to end, as they feel that this disappearance has taken a negative toll on them.

“It hasn’t been good for my mental health,” says Senior, Kendyll Shreve. 

Sophomore, Amare Johnson says, “If you’re not getting the right food and nutrients that you need then, how are you going to be able to graduate and reach the end goal?”

Although some students are very passionate about the subject of breakfast at school, other students could seemly not care any less. 

“I honestly don’t care about second-chance,” said Junior, Annie McKinley.

The vending machines are to be installed sometime during the second semester of the 2023-2024 school year, and are highly anticipated, with each holding 100 meals. Because the machines will hold more of a variety of breakfast items than were previously seen in years prior, the return of second-chance will be much grander and better than ever. Soon, the vending machines will be installed throughout the halls and the student body will finally see an end to the second-chance breakfast drought at Wheeling Park High School.