Park Profile: Wayvoline Humway

Stories featuring people in and around our community doing their ordinary but extraordinary things.
Wayvoline Humway at her baby shower held at the YWCA, put together by her coworkers.

When thinking about your future as a kid, you may think of being a doctor, teacher, firefighter, or another profession. Wayvoline Humway always knew she wanted to help people, so of those previous professions would have fit right in. But she had a different calling in 2001, Humway became Ohio County’s Domestic Violence Advocate in Wheeling, WV.

She worked at the YWCA, also known as the Young Women’s Christian Association. The job description entailed going to court with clients, presentations and public speaking, follow-up care, admitting women and children into shelters, and taking care of homeless women who were located on the fifth floor of the YWCA. 

Humway shared a wide range of emotions that came with her job, “It was fulfilling, really difficult, very sad yet rewarding,” said Wayvoline Humway.

Humway explained that after every shift ended she would go to her car and “cleanse” herself from the negative energy. “It was really hard not to get attached, but I had to learn that it was okay to take a step back when needed,” said Humway. 

Humway also shared that she misses working there. Although she only worked there for four years, if she was younger and did not have a child she would love to get back into the workforce. 

“I had a lot of personal growth there, and I learned what a healthy relationship should look like,” said Humway.

During the time of her employment, she got married to the love of her life and had a child. Her short employment time was due to leaving after getting pregnant. Although she would love to go back in another lifetime, she is very content with her current life. 

“I never expected the life I have now, it’s a lot greater than what I thought of my future… I never imagined getting married or even having kids, but that all changed when I met Richard [husband],” said Humway.

Humway is very proud of the work she did. The countless hours she put in changed many women’s and children’s lives. 

“Creating the greatest masterpiece of my life, my daughter,” Wayvoline Humway said. 

If you or anyone you know is experiencing domestic abuse please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233.