The Youth Service System (YSS)

The Youth Service System (YSS)

The Youth Service System (YSS) is an important part of keeping people safe in the northern panhandle.

Tammy Kruse, the director of development and public relations, said there are many different directions to go in with what YSS does. They have 10 different buildings and over 25 programs. 

“We have a full volunteer board of directors to help guide the entire agency,” said Kruse.

“One of the things we are able to do is create a safe place for the youth and their community,” said Kruse. YSS does mental health services in schools up and down the river between middle and high schools. They do different transitional programs for kids that are 18 that were never adopted or if it wasn’t a permanent situation with when they are 18 and kicked out they give them life skills and help them manage money. YSS helps these students finish high school diploma or even through college. 

“We give therapy sessions,”said Kruse. They have a safe home group that helps families manage life a little better. “It’s a wrap-around service that does so much for our community.”

YSS offers many different services including a free store that includes jackets, coats, gloves and warmers. Their year round services include helping the homeless find homes jobs and finish or get their high school diplomas. 

“YSS works in collaboration with Life Hub for the Winter Freeze shelter” in downtown Wheeling, according to interim CEO of YSS, Jill Eddy.

“One of my favorite quotes are  ‘what you do today make sure it will benefit it for a better tomorrow,” said Kruse. Get involved with the YSS by checking out their website here.  

*In a previous version of this article, the staff reporter erroneously claimed that YSS runs the Winter Freeze Shelter. The Park Press immediately corrected this inaccuracy upon notification and updated the story.