Symphony on Ice Skates into the Holiday Season

The Wheeling Symphony Orchestra is presenting its annual “Symphony on Ice” performance  November 30th at WesBanco Arena to swing into the holiday season. This classic production showcases Wheeling’s finest skaters, young musicians, and of course, the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra. Skating clubs from Pittsburgh and Wheeling collaborate with championship skaters to create a magical celebration for Ohio County. Also, you will find our very own Wheeling Park High School Choir performing at this holiday event. 

“It is an important performance for us because it is not often that a high school choir gets to perform with a professional orchestra and conductor,” says Mrs. Jingle, Wheeling Park’s Choir director.

Mrs. Jingle has partnered with the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra for many performances now. She always produces a cheery, holiday show with numerous Christmas songs. 

“My favorite piece this year is Auld Lang Syne. It was arranged for a choir and orchestra by Ryan James Brandau, who is a friend of John Devlin, the Wheeling Symphony conductor. It is a really beautiful arrangement with a little Scottish flare to the melody. The audience favorite is generally Stille Nacht, or Silent Night, which features very young skaters with candles creating lighted designs on the ice,” said Jingle. 

Symphony on Ice is an iconic Wheeling staple during the holiday season. Members from all over the Ohio Valley come to perform and watch the beloved concert. 

“The Symphony on Ice is truly a unique event. The skaters include members of the Wheeling and Pittsburgh skate clubs, as well as the headlining professional skaters. The choir will include students from John Marshall, Brooke, St. Clairsville, Bellaire, Martins Ferry, Weir, and Sherrard. It is a massive collaboration of talent and artistry,” said Jingle. 

Not only will our choir be performing at the event, but multiple Park students will be seen on the frosty ice. One of these students is Grace Mull, a sophomore at Park, who has been skating with Symphony on Ice for many years now.

“I’ve been a skater since I was two years old, so thirteen years,” said Mull. 

Mull spends months practicing with her club to perfect the performance.

“We started practicing at the end of September when WesBanco first got ice. So, it was like end of September, early October,” said Mull

After many years of performing, Mull has advanced as a skater, performing with the larger group. She expresses her love for the show and her connection with Symphony on Ice.

“I like our number that the more advanced group is doing. I like that I get to do it with my friends, so I know people that are doing it. I’ve been doing it forever so it just feels special,” said Mull.

Symphony on Ice has always been an anticipated holiday tradition in the Ohio Valley. The collaborated event perfectly captures the festive season in a wonderful performance, applauded by the Wheeling community. Don’t miss “Symphony on Ice” this season held at WesBanco Arena on Thursday, November 30th, at 7 p.m.