The Student News Site of Wheeling Park High School

The Park Press

The Park Press

Advertisement
The Student News Site of Wheeling Park High School

The Park Press

Elliana Mccabe looks back on the 2023-2024 school year.
A Year in Review
May 16, 2024
Custom canva design
Take It From Us
May 16, 2024
Runners gliding over hurdles.
Track States
May 15, 2024

Protect Your Home With Fire Safety

Protect Your Home With Fire Safety

Here in Wheeling, fires are more common than you might think, but there are many things you can do to protect yourself and your home.

I would say the main cause of house fires originate in the kitchen due to unattended cooking,” said Captain Jason Milton. 

The best way to prevent this is to pay attention when cooking and not leave the stove unattended. 

A great way to protect your home is to make sure you have working smoke detectors in every room of your house. They should be interconnected, so if one goes off, they all do. You should also be careful when charging devices like phones and computers.

“Charging of battery-powered devices should be monitored and on a surface that allows heat to disperse. Phones and other electronic devices should not be charged on a bed, couch or chair, and should not be left to charge overnight,” Chief Inspector Deric Jamison said.

You can also make sure to use candles safely, using sturdy bases so they don’t tip over and keeping them away from windows.

“Candles must always be extinguished when leaving the room, like cooking, never leave a burning candle unattended,” said Jamison.

“Charging of battery-powered devices should be monitored and on a surface that allows heat to disperse. Phones and other electronic devices should not be charged on a bed, couch or chair, and should not be left to charge overnight,”

— Chief Inspector Deric Jamison

Keeping your door closed at night is another great way to stay safe, as the door can slow the spread of fire and smoke.

“I…always sleep with the bedroom door closed. A closed bedroom door can slow fire and smoke from getting into your room until the detectors sound the alarm,” Jamison said.

“If your house has natural gas appliances like a stove, water heater, or furnace, you should have a carbon monoxide detector,” said Milton.

You and your family should have a spot, a safe distance from your home, to report to incase of an emergency.

 

Leave a Comment
Donate to The Park Press
$125
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wheeling Park High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
About the Contributor
Jules Burke
Jules Burke, Staff Writer
  • Journalism I
  • Freshman
  • Figure Skating
  • I love sloths.
Donate to The Park Press
$125
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

All The Park Press Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *