Pickleball in Wheeling

Photo credits: Gregg Boury

Pickleball is the fastest-rising sport in America. It’s a very popular activity in Wheeling, and it is quickly rising here at Wheeling Park High School. There are several Pickleball clubs in Wheeling and one right here at Wheeling Park.

Pickleball is a simple game where paddles very similar to ping pong paddles are used, along with a ball similar to a wiffle ball. A Pickleball court is 20 feet long. The 3 feet closest to the net on each side is what is known as the kitchen. The kitchen is considered to be a non-volley zone, which means you cannot hit the ball out of the air in this zone, you must let it bounce.

Michael Jaffe more commonly known on the courts as M.J. is a part of the Wheeling Pickleball Club and he is also a part of the National Pickleball Association. “The Pickleball community in Wheeling is full of some very nice people,” said Jaffe. M.J. started playing Pickleball roughly 2 years ago when he heard about it through a friend. “It’s good exercise, you meet great people, and it’s a lot of fun,” said Jaffe.

Aaron Chao is the president and founder of Wheeling Park’s Pickleball club. Aaron has been playing for about a year and a half. He plays 3 days a week at the Howard Long Wellness Center.“Some Pickleball groups in Wheeling are exclusive, but once you get to know them they are nice,” said Chao. “They are only exclusive because they treasure their sport so much.”

“It’s good exercise, you meet great people, and it’s a lot of fun,”

— Michael Jaffe

There are many places around Wheeling that now house Pickleball courts. For example, there are courts by the Patterson Ball Fields, The Highlands Sports Complex, The Howard Long Wellness Center, and many more.

Pickleball is a great way to get up and get active. One way to get started playing Pickleball is just to get out there on the courts. Another great way to get started is to join the Pickleball club that meets during activity period on week 3. The Pickleball Club has a 10-dollar entry fee. Joining this new, exotic sport is a great way to get involved in the community and make new friends