Shamrock Shake

Anna Contraguerro
Shamrock Shake with Oreos from the OG EG (Elm Grove) McDonald’s

The most coveted minty shake is making its grand return. The Shamrock Shake is not only a delicious drink, but it is also one of the most nostalgic. I vividly remember, being around seven years old and counting down the days until the made its comeback for the St. Patrick’s Day season.

The quite famous shake was first introduced in 1970 and it quickly became a huge hit and a staple of St. Patrick’s day. When the drink was in its early days, it had a lemon-lime flavor. However, after taking the advice and listening to the complaints of plenty of customers, the drink made a massive change. The flavor was changed from lemon-lime to a refreshing and delicious mint flavor which remains the flavor of the drink to this day.

“The Shamrock Shake is a staple of the St. Patrick’s day season, it reminds me of spring,” said Grace Mull.

“I have loved the drink since I was a kid, it reminds me of when I was younger,” said Heath Miller.

In February of 2020 McDonalds added an extra special edition to their famous Shamrock Shake. The Oreo Shamrock McFlurry is a Shamrock Shake which comes with crushed Oreo cookies blended into the drink. Many prefer the Oreo Shamrock McFlurry over the plain Shamrock Shake.

“The Oreo Shamrock McFlurry is a fun spin on the already really good drink,” said Grace Tamburin.

Be sure to make a trip to McDonalds and pick up a famous Shamrock Shake or Oreo Shamrock McFlurry to help you enjoy the St. Patrick’s day season!