Elliana Mccabe looks back on the 2023-2024 school year.
A Year in Review
May 16, 2024
Custom canva design
Take It From Us
May 16, 2024
Runners gliding over hurdles.
Track States
May 15, 2024

St. Patrick’s Day Traditions

Original design created on Canva

Originating in Ireland, the St. Patrick’s Day celebration has spread all around the globe, making it one of the most anticipated holidays in March. Usually, people wear green to avoid being pinched or find suspicious green water, however, there are lots of silly St. Patrick’s Day traditions you might want to look out for this year. 

Famous meals cooked on St. Patrick’s Day usually consist of corned beef and cabbage. This tradition began in the 20th century when Irish immigrants would purchase corned beef instead of bacon to save money. Now, many Irish Americans will cook this dish not only to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day but to honor their ancestor’s delicious recipes!

If you plan on traveling this St. Patrick’s Day, Chicago might be the place for you! Beginning in 1962, the city of Chicago has dyed its river green every year to celebrate the lucky holiday. Thousands of people come to see the famous green river and enjoy other festivities around the city. 

If Chicago is too far for you, check out the more local St. Patrick’s Day parades. Boston, New York City, and even Pittsburgh put on annual parades to celebrate the Irish holiday. In New York City, almost 150,000 people attend the celebration to mark the lucky year to come. If you look close enough, you may spot some lucky leprechauns on the parade floats!

Even some of our own Patriots share their St. Patrick’s Day traditions.

“I eat green eggs and ham,” said Jayden Clutter.

“We throw a party with friends and family and we all wear green,” said Audrey Powers. 

Whether you’re traveling to Chicago, Ireland, or the end of the rainbow, make sure to look out for some new St. Patrick’s Day traditions this March 17th!