Patriot Pops Hits PAC

For one night each school year, the patriot choir transforms into the patriot show choir for their show called Patriot Pops. This energetic performance put on by the Patriot Choir features songs from popular artists such as Billie Eilish and Pentatonix. 

The idea of the show originated from the demand for a show choir program. “There really isn’t room in the schedule of activities here at Wheeling Park to put a show choir in,” said, Joyce Jingle, choir director at Wheeling Park. “Show choir is an element of music education we have never experienced at Wheeling Park and in order to bring in that element without creating a whole separate entity we just decided to devote one concert to something that was comparable to a show choir…Without the Pops concert, the students at Park have no exposure at all to show choir.”

Patriot Pops gives the show choir scene at Wheeling Park a breath of life and provides students with unique opportunities. “It really opened my mind more and showed me what we can do rather than just standing up there and singing holiday songs,” said Landon McKeegan, a freshman at Wheeling Park. This eye-opening experience begins its preparation months in advance to provide the best show for the audience. 

“The preparation with the students starts when we return after Christmas break, but we are looking at literature well before that during the first semester,” said Mrs. Jingle. The process of choosing music has a lot of factors to it as well.

“Once we’ve wrapped up with festival of sound really what we end up doing is Mrs. Jingle and I both start to listen to songs to get an idea. We’re looking for songs that can be choreographed to, so there is a specific tempo of songs we are looking for. After we get a couple ideas we sit together and listen back and forth and then we start to narrow it down,” said Christy Greenwood, a choir director.

There is a lot of thought that goes into song choice and a lot of work that goes on between the two choral directors, but once the music is chosen the outcome is handed over to the students.

“If you’re not a dance-oriented person the choreography can be a bit challenging and another hard part is putting that choreography with the music and the words and trying to sing while dancing,” said Melody Campbell, a senior. Despite the challenge the choir students have really enjoyed themselves throughout the years in putting on this show.

“My favorite memory from Patriot Pops was learning Sing Sing Sing because it had very hard choreography and it was kind of a mess at first, but we eventually got it together,” said Alaina Ramos, a senior. Everyone had great learning experiences and even just enjoyed the buzz of doing something exciting and new.

“My favorite memory is from last year in Voices of Freedom after the first big rehearsal and we all went out into the lobby talking about how excited we were to perform it and for everyone to see it,” said Abby Stillion, a senior. For this upcoming show, there is a lot to look forward to if you plan on seeing the show.

“It’s much more energetic than most choir concerts, so it’s something more to look forward to than just watching us stand there and sing,” said Maddie Link, a senior. Plus, this year’s song selection is sure to get people up and moving.

“Watch out, I’ll be rapping during Party Rock Anthem,” said Kaleb Trimmer, a junior. You can come to see songs like Party Rock Anthem and much more if you come to see the show on March 20th!