New Year’s Resolution? Or In’s and Out’s list?

Happy New Year! New Year, means new me, and a brand new resolution to kick off the start to 2024. But are resolutions really a good thing? And does the phrase “new year new me” actually mean anything?

The majority of the population makes a New Year’s resolution every year. Whether it be to start going to the gym, better your state of mind, or even just cutting out chocolate from your diet. Though these so-called “resolutions” only last for about a day. Some, if you’re lucky, last a week. So why even make a resolution when we know they won’t be followed through? 

Instead of making a New Years resolution that will never be committed to, making an “in’s and outs” list could be a much better option. 

“New Year’s resolutions are so 20 years ago and you don’t really stick to them. In’s and outs can change day to day” said Mrs. Unique Murphy, a social worker and staff member at Wheeling Park High School. 

Murphy told me her own “in” for the New Year.

“So on my in list, I have positive body image, and following fashion and influencer accounts that reflect my body type” said Murphy.

“I was tired of looking at unrealistic and unattainable body images. I’m a pretty confident person normally. Sometimes it can get me down when I’m looking at people who don’t look like me. I wanna follow people on social media who are the same size as me, and who look like me” said Murphy.

This is one of the most common resolutions that people choose. Setting unrealistic lifestyles and images of people online who you have absolutely nothing in common with can be damaging to your confidence. Which is why though it may be a common thing to call your “in”, it’s certainly true and could really benefit you in the long run. 

Murphy then told me her “outs” for the New Year.

“Some of these are truly just funny. But my number one thing is calling things “vintage” when they’re less than 25 years old” said Murphy. 

“And keeping clothes that do not fit, or keeping clothes because they might fit in a couple months or even a year. It’s just not good for my mental health- I don’t think it’s good for anyone’s mental health” said Murphy. 

All in all a “New Year’s Resolution” may be the same thing or at least similar to an “in’s and out’s” list. Though calling it an “in’s and out’s” list makes us feel a little better, and gives us more encouragement to better ourselves for the year.

“My goal is to be intentional for this year. Just to really think about the things that I’m doing, the people that I’m around, the activities I partake in. If they don’t serve me in a positive way, then I don’t want to partake in them at all” said Murphy. 

Whether you choose to do a New Year’s Resolution, or an in’s and out’s list, it’s always good to set a healthy goal for yourself. So Happy New Year! Kick off 2024 with a healthy goal for yourself.