Oglebay Park is “Lit” for the Holidays

Festival of Lights 2023

Oglebay Park lights up Route 88 for their “Festival of Lights” celebration this holiday season. Beginning in 1985, the Festival of Lights has grown to be one of the largest light displays in the country, creating a magical spectacular for more than just Ohio County. Oglebay Park prides itself on the quality and festivity of their Christmas extravaganza, offering new additions every season.

Over the past couple of years, Oglebay has displayed new attractions such as the Wheeling Suspension Bridge, the Schenk Lake Globe, and most noticeably, a new 70-foot Welcome Tree. Located near the Carriage House, this massive addition was unveiled in 2021 and has become one of the most recognizable Festival of Lights displays ever since. The tree plays Christmas carols, lights up a choreographed musical number, and presents the iconic Oglebay tree at the top of the display. 

As if the Festival of Lights wasn’t Christmassy enough, over 13 of the attractions play classic holiday hits. The Rainbow Tunnel, Dinosaur Park, the Life-Size Nativity scene, and the Jack-in-the-box all play merry jingles that bring holiday cheer to everyone at the lights, so crack your windows and sing along to your favorite holiday tunes. 

At Park, many of our students love driving through the Festival of Lights; they all have a favorite display they anticipate seeing each year. 

“My favorite attraction is the Snowflake tunnel,” said Ryleigh Gillespie.

“The Charlie Brown one,” said Luke Miller.

“The cheerleaders,” said Mia Castellucci.

“The clowns,” said Audrey Powers.

During the holidays, Oglebay offers much more than just its lights display. The Twinkle Trot, the elf digital scavenger hunt, and gingerbread house decorating are just some of the many Christmas activities the park hosts. Events held at Wilson Lodge are sure to put a jolly smile on everyone’s face with games like “Name that Holiday Tune” and story time with classic Christmas characters. The big man himself, Santa Claus, can be spotted at the Good Zoo every night from 6- 8 pm. 

Whether you’re driving through the lights or meeting ol’ St. Nick, make sure to stop by Oglebay’s Festival of Lights this holiday season running until January 7th. Donations are encouraged.