The Holiday Season in Centre Market

Claire McFadden
An entrance to the main market house

The holiday season is known to many as the most wonderful time of the year. One of the more stressful notes of this season is getting gift shopping done. A popular way to get this activity done and support local Wheeling businesses is to shop in Wheelings Centre Market. 

A great way to support your local businesses is Holiday shopping in Centre Market. This is a great way to get in the holiday mood and get your shopping done. Wheelings Centre Market has been around for a long time, some businesses are younger, and some are older and have great ties to the people of Wheelings “We’re sixteen years old, and this is the quarter of the calendar where we get to see folk come home and stop in because this place means something to them” said Mitchell Haddad, gardener at Later Gator. “Getting to be that thing for people will recharge your batteries better than a bubbling bank account”. 

Reagan Hughes, a sophomore said her favorite part of Centre Market is the variety of places to eat. “My favorite part of Centre Market is The Market Café” Hughes said.  This historical part of Wheeling holds many memories for the citizens in and around Wheeling.  “My favorite memory in Centre Market was going out to eat there after a Towngate play” Hughes said. Reagan agrees spending money local is a great way to shop and prepare for the holidays.

The oldest market house of Centre Market is 170 years old, making it older than the state of West Virginia itself, and all the businesses now inside and around that very market house are locally owned and operated. Brooke Price is the Centre Market manager. “It’s a great place to find unique gifts” Price said. There are no two businesses the same at the market.

The holiday season is not just helpful for the small businesses of Centre Market, it’s a great season for local food vendors, and Oglebay parks. “many of our food vendors are busy this time of year with catering, party trays, or large orders for holiday dinners” Price said. “Additionally during this time we see a lot of tour busses stopping by on their way to see the festival of lights at Oglebay’.

As the holidays get closer and closer some may think of that as a major stressor, but right here in Wheeling there is a great place to shop and support local business owners, and find gifts like no other, this magical place is Centre Market.