Scary Good Scarecrows

The students working on making the scarecrows.

Mr. Schultz’s Foundations of Art class made scarecrows which won first place and Grand Champion for the Ohio County Fair this weekend which ran from 10/ 6-8.

“It’s kind of a design of this woman, it’s abstract…Some parts were kind of uneven, like one arm was very big and bulky, kind of like a box, while the other was more realistic,” Said Adalyn Kreitzer, with her sister Amelia Kreitzer, two students who worked on the winning piece.

The students made their scarecrows using recycled materials, rather than hay, as the main material. They later put small tufts of hay into the scarecrows to make them seem like they are made of hay.

Mr. Schultz has been participating in this event for many years, and the idea originally started as a club. He thought it was a great idea and made it a class project so they could make multiple as a class.

“For the past few years, we’ve taken all the prizes, and we’re hoping to take all the prizes again this year,” Schultz said.

The students were very excited to display their creations at the fair because they had worked so hard on them.

The Ohio County Fair was at Oglebay Park on October 6, 7, and 8. All the scarecrows were really well made, and the first-place winner definitely deserved the win.