Elliana Mccabe looks back on the 2023-2024 school year.
A Year in Review
May 16, 2024
Custom canva design
Take It From Us
May 16, 2024
Runners gliding over hurdles.
Track States
May 15, 2024

Art Girl Summer

West Virginia Governor’s School for the Arts (WVGSA) is a three-week arts camp, taking place from June 25th to July 15th this past summer, and it was hosted this year on the campus of Marshall University. This opportunity is open to upcoming juniors who want to broaden their study and understanding of a specific art form. It is offered for acting, vocal music, instrumental music, studio art, dance, and creative writing.

Wheeling Park High School had three students go to WVGSA this year: Alex Fabrizio and Ciera Faulstick for acting and Mo Smith for studio art.

WVGSA is an opportunity that allows budding artists to explore art and grow within it.

“Honestly, I got so much better at anatomy, seeing things from different perspectives…” Smith said. “I used to hate doing abstract art and then I started messing around with it there…It’s actually pretty cool.”

Students also explore the other art forms offered at Governor’s School during their three weeks.

“We got to experience so many other art forms…that I’ve wanted to learn more,” Fabrizio said. “And having that opportunity an hour a day to go learn that, I really feel like I can write poetry better now, I can write songs. I can go do more arts and not just be confined to one form.”

Not only did students find new interests and talents during WVGSA, they also made new friends.

“I keep going back to it, but definitely meeting the people. I still talk to everyone in my group. We talk online all the time, I’ll be seeing them in a few weeks at a speech tournament…Just going there without knowing anyone really…and just meeting all those new people. And by the end of it, you feel like a family. You feel like you’ve known them so much longer than three weeks.”

WVGSA is a necessary experience for any West Virginia budding artists.