Freshman Play: The Game of Tiaras

Anna Contraguerro
The Introduction to Speech and Theater class during rehearsal

The Freshman Play is hitting the JB Chambers Performing Arts Center stage with The Game of Tiaras by Don Zolidis. The students currently in the class Introduction to Speech and Theatre have been working tirelessly to perfect their show and impress the crowd. The curtains will open at 5:15pm on February 27th in the PAC theater at Wheeling Park High School. Tickets will be sold for $5 at the door, and all Ohio County students in possession of their student ID can attend the show for free.

“While in this class I learned a lot about stage direction,” said Siyan Lopez.

The class is taught by Mrs. Droginske who directs the play and is also a speech and debate coach at Wheeling Park.

“These students have been working very hard learning stage combat techniques, their lines, and everything else that goes into putting on a production. I am very proud of their hard work!” said Droginske.

The Game of Tiaras is a spoof on beloved story-book characters and the HBO hit show, Game of Thrones. When the Queen of the kingdom decides to give her crown and her power away, her three daughters fight over who will be the next to rule the kingdom. The show includes the arguing to gain the love of the sought-after prince, action pact sword fights and lessons to be learned.

“I did some theater in middle school and I’ve done some plays there and there but in this class I’ve become more comfortable with talking on stage,” said Ella Wheeler.

“I was in the play Anne in middle school and I have also been a part of Grease. I have become much more comfortable with being up on stage and also facing the audience,” said Stevie Williams. “I enjoy the cast members and getting to know my part and I also love just getting to have fun with it.”

Introduction to Speech and Theatre is a block course that teaches the new students at WPHS the basics of stage performance. Their knowledge is showcased by a play that is put on for the parents and friends and other family members of the new performers. The students have the opportunity to be in the spotlight or work the curtain, there are opportunities for every interest within the theater.

The student body, as well as the entire Wheeling community, is excited for this tradition. Be sure to tell all of the young actors to break a leg during their upcoming performance. Come to the PAC and show your support for these hard-working freshmen as they showcase their talent!