Student Spotlight: Julie Walters

Destiny DeLaney
Julie’s prize winning piece at Stifel

Julie Walters is a senior at Wheeling Park who is an outstanding artist known for her admirable pieces and devotion to continue to improve her skills in any way possible. She’s won many awards and some of her pieces are presented in an art gallery.

“My art has been featured in the Stifel Arts Center in the past four years,” said Walters. “Freshman year I won 1st place for mixed media and senior year I won 2nd place for painting.”

Before her freshman year, Julie and her mother requested to meet with both art teachers, Mrs. Freeman and Mr. Shultz, to work on her skills and skip Art I. While working with her, Mr. Shultz was able to acknowledge big parts of her new accomplishments.

“Her growth and also her ability to take positive and constructive criticism,” said Schultz. “I think that is what I’m most proud of. Her technique and composition have really come a long way plus her style.”

Julie uses her art as a way to find peace within her hectic schedule. Allowing her to express how she’s feeling at any given moment.

“What inspired me to pursue art was because it is something that always gave me comfort,” said Walters. “If I’m ever stressed out, bored, upset, or anything like that, I always draw or create art to just make me feel happy. It’s something that I never want to let go of because of that too, because it’s something that brings me joy and comfort and it’s something I will never get tired of. Continuing art is also something that can benefit me in my future career and also as a hobby.”

Mrs. Freeman observed Julie as she worked with others as well as with working alongside herself. Taking notice of some key details.

“Julie has one of the best work ethics I have ever seen,” said Freeman. “She’s always willing to take her work home. She puts everything into everything she does. And working with others she’s just a sweet kind person.”

Julie loves all types of art and works well with peers to encourage them to express their potential for their work as well. For aspiring artists, Julie shares some words of advice and confidence. 

“[It] sounds basic but I would say to not get discouraged,” said Walters. “Some people have different views on what is good art and what is bad, so do not be discouraged if you think your work is bad because there is someone who thinks it is beautiful. And try new things, never be afraid to be creative!”

Outside of Julie’s artistic achievements and abilities, she’s involved in other activities along with handling her busy classes. 

“I’m also in orchestra, band, and I’m involved with the theatre department with Park Players,” said Walters. “Juggling the activities can be hard, especially being in honors classes, but it makes me happy and I have a lot of fun so it is all worth it.”

Julie as a young child loving art

Going forward through high school, Julie has a plan to attend West Virginia University after she graduates. Once she attends she is going to major in communication sciences and disorders with a minor in arts. 

As a final note, Julie shared some last words. 

“I lastly want to add something for my parents because they were the ones who inspired me to start my arts journey, they both went to art school and they’ve pushed me to be my absolute best in everything, but especially in my art,” said Walters.