Student Spotlight: Abigail Howard

Abigail Howard is an exceptional performer, singer, and culinary expert here at Park. She is the embodiment of an involved student, taking every opportunity she can to join something new!

“I’m involved in culinary, choir; I’m also in the Park Players club, and I’m the president of the Fellowship of the Students club. I’m in SkillsUSA, and then I’m going to be in the ensemble for the musical this year,” said Howard. 

Not only does Abigail immerse herself during the school day, but she also expands her interests outside the classroom and into the kitchen. Abigail will be traveling all around the state for various culinary events this semester.

“I’m going on four trips for culinary right now. I’m going to a leadership academy trip in February and then I got elected to go to the Greenbrier at the end of February to visit the restaurants and see how the chefs cook. I’m going to the competition trip in March because I’m on the competition team, so that’ll be like a two-day trip where we have to prepare for that. It’s a long process but it’s really fun. And at the end of March, I’m going to the SkillsUSA competition and I’m running for the wedding cake category,” said Howard. 

Applying for the tough position, Abigail received an invitation to travel down to Southern West Virginia and learn more about the culinary world at the Greenbrier.

“There were applications and when I heard about it, I’ve always wanted to go to the Greenbrier ever since I was a little girl, so I was like oh yeah I’m totally doing this. I applied, you have to have a certain GPA and you can’t have any unexcused absences. I figured I wouldn’t get it, I figured it would be a senior or something, but she and Mrs. Bugai went through all the applications and only four students could go, and I was selected,” said Howard.

Abigail has been in the culinary scene since she was little, especially developing her love for baking. Abigail’s passion in the kitchen shines through her tasty treats.

“Baking is just my escape sort of. I kind of portray myself through baking and I view every little creation I make as my own. I put my heart into it; I enjoy it so thoroughly,” said Howard.

Mrs. Schrebe, Abigail’s homeroom teacher, expresses her love for Abigail’s “sweet” personality.

“Oh my gosh where do I even begin, there’s so much to love about Abigail. She is a friend to all, she is just so nice, and kind, and caring. She goes the extra mile with everything when it comes to our development guidance. She makes us brownies and all kinds of treats throughout the year. She always helps out with any gingerbread house competitions or door decorating contests. She is the MVP of our DG,” said Schrebe. 

Mrs. Schrebe also acknowledged Abigail’s outstanding involvement at Park. Her participation does not go unnoticed. 

“She is someone who’s “experiencing the Park”. She participates in clubs and activities. She makes sure she bakes treats, not only for us but for her other classes as well. She’s just experiencing every class. She really wants to make our school the best it can be,” said Schrebe. 

Abigail bakes with love; she focuses on the happiness of others every time she whips up a new creation!

“One of the main things is just I love making other people happy through baking because I mean, who doesn’t love food, and I love making it,” said Howard 

Abigail plans to involve herself further in the culinary arts, even after she graduates from Wheeling Park High School.

“After high school, I do want to go to college for elementary education, but if I get the chance to I would love to go to culinary school at some point and own my own bakery on the side if I can,” said Howard. 

View Comments (1)
$125
$500