Elliana Mccabe looks back on the 2023-2024 school year.
A Year in Review
May 16, 2024
Custom canva design
Take It From Us
May 16, 2024
Runners gliding over hurdles.
Track States
May 15, 2024

Fast Fashion Out, Second Hand In

Thrifting in the Ohio Valley

From affordable thrifting finds, to higher-end vintage clothing, fast fashion is out and second-hand shopping is in! The newest rave, with cheaper prices, environmentally safe shopping, and not to mention better finds, is what we all call “thrifting”. Luckily for us, more small business thrifting, vintage, and consignment shops have been opening locally. 

Some of the most popular shops include Two Times Clothing & Collectibles in Martins Ferry, Ohio owned by 26-year-old Peyton Bourgeois, and Outdated Threads in Centre Market owned by 24-year-old Nic Provenzano. 

But why is this the better option? Why should you flip through used clothes when you can take a trip to the closest billion-dollar shopping mall?

Buying secondhand clothing doesn’t only save you money, it saves MILLIONS of pounds of clothes from being dumped into landfills, polluting our planet forever! So technically buy shopping secondhand, you’re helping save the planet.”

— Bourgeois

“Shopping secondhand can help you not only save the planet and save you money, but you can find really unique finds you won’t find buying fast fashion,” added Provenzano.

Both of these new small business owners have made a name for themselves and have become the topic of many conversations within surrounding towns. 

Two Times Clothing & Collectibles started in the winter of 2023 and offers a very wide variety of affordable clothing while also offering a few rare, more expensive pieces. Outdated Threads opened on Saturday, January 6th, and solely offers higher-end valuable, vintage clothing. Both are open to buying or trading.

“I’ve been collecting for a few years to have back stock. I source pieces in many different ways from thrift stores, yard sales, houses, marketplace, closets of people I just met, etc. Anywhere I think an old t-shirt might be hanging out, I’m there searching,” said Provenzano

Second-hand shops, like the ones here locally, offer rare pieces you won’t find shopping fast fashion. 

“There is a lot of paperwork and technicalities of starting a business. So it’s been difficult to make sure all bases are covered and still try to progress the business financially. Time management can be very challenging,” said Bourgeois. “However, the most rewarding thing about running a small business so far has been seeing everyone that’s actually come to support and are passionate as well! It’s almost like an ah hah! I wasn’t too crazy after all moment.” 

So the next time you want to expand your closet remember to shop sustainably and locally!