Park Profile : Beth Davis

Stories featuring people in and around our community doing their ordinary but extraordinary things.

Beth Davis worked at Wheeling Park High School for 21 years but has been retired for about 10 years. Davis was a math teacher and taught Geometry and Geometry Honors. She had always had a love for teaching and teaching at Park was a dream for her.

Working at Park was an adventure for her, she never knew what would happen next and every day felt different. She enjoyed being in the classroom and helping students learn math. Davis always tried to make math fun for her students since most don’t enjoy that subject very much. To make it more interesting, she would come up with games or use enjoyable tactics so they would stay entertained.

“Math was a great subject to teach. To me, math is fun,” said Davis.

Davis’s favorite part about Park was the extracurricular events. She loved sports and always supported Park by attending the games as much as she could.

“The school spirit at WPHS was very energetic, it was so much fun going to and supervising many of the activities Park had,” said Davis.

For a short period, Davis was a coach for the girls’ basketball team. While coaching, her team won the State Championship in Charleston that year. This accomplishment earned her picture to be hung on the wall in the gym, and she is proud to have been a part of this moment.

Davis also had a love for the people who worked with her. She said that her coworkers made her job much better, and one of her favorite coworkers was Dottie Boyd, who works in the main office. She was always smiling and willing to help anyone who needed it. Many of the people Davis worked with are still in her life now and she would consider them lifelong friends.

As much as Davis loved working at WPHS, every good thing has to come to an end. She eventually had to retire but she appreciates the experiences she had here and misses it dearly.