Pins with Purpose

The Wheeling Park High School bowling team struck off the season with their first tournament at St. Clair Lanes on November 17th. They placed fourth out of six teams, and junior member Emma Wear won fifth place overall in individuals.

Although the season is off to a good start, the loss of junior member Devin Sovinsky both motivates and desolates the team. Captains Zac Davis and Sarah Seivertson lead the boys’ and girls’ teams.

“A big motivator is the loss of one of our teammates, my best friend, Devin Sovinsky,” Davis said. “He was our fire last year and he is our light this year. This year we play for him.”

“Devin was an amazing bowler and an even better friend,” Seivertson said. “The season has been a lot different since he’s been gone. It just feels like a hole is missing from the team.”

He was our fire last year and he is our light this year. This year we play for him.

— Zac Davis

Devin Sovinsky passed away on July 18th, 2023 in a one-car crash. This abrupt loss finds its way to motivate Devin’s loved ones, including the ones on the bowling team.

Coach Mr. Kevin Orth incorporated Devin’s initials along with the date of his passing into the new bowling uniforms in memory.

Mr. Orth has been dedicated to making sure his bowlers are prepared for this season.

“We practice three or four days a week,” Mr. Orth said. “There’s oil on the lanes, and that oil moves the more that you bowl and it makes it more complicated. Figuring out how to move and find your lines the way you’re striking is the most important thing and that’s what we work on practice more than anything: Adjustments.”

“If you can adjust, you can win anything,” Mr. Orth said.

The team’s goals include the OVAC Championship, the OVAC Individual Champion, and the unofficial State tournament. They are hoping to be above the .500 mark for the year.

Support the Wheeling Park High School Bowling team this season, and know that their strength and motivation come from the one and only Devin Sovinsky.

View Comments (1)
$150
$500