Meet Mr. Porter

Mr. Brandon Porter is the new Earth and Space Science teacher here at Wheeling Park. “There are lots of different reasons [I wanted to be a teacher]… I got the opportunity to substitute teach one time…and right when I did it, as soon as I substitute taught, it was like, this is it. This is what I want to do,” said Porter.

Teaching also aligns with what he thinks is important in life. “I think it is important to have a positive impact on your community, and be a good role model for others, and help anyone with less knowledge than you gain knowledge,” said Porter.

Mr. Porter went to college here in West Virginia. “[I went to] Wheeling Jesuit University, which now it’s just Wheeling University, and then West Virginia University, and then West Liberty University,” said Porter.

There are a lot of things Mr. Porter loves to talk about. “I do love to talk about science, but I also love to talk about…stories. Whatever it might be, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, or any of the other shows that I watch…the themes, and the creativity, and stories,” said Porter.

The five adjectives Mr. Porter said best describe him come from a personality trait test he took, that he thought fit well. “I would say that I’m strategic, I am adaptive, inclusive, individualistic, and, I’ll just say positive as the last one,” said Porter.