The Stanley Epidemic

Thirst is a physiological need. Whether you run a mile or just want a drink with your meal, everyone knows the power of an ice-cold drink. Over time, specific water bottle brands have emerged so you can get a cold drink, whenever. Whether it’s a hydro flask, Owala, or Yeti, water bottle brands go in and out of style like clothing items. If you have ever walked the halls of Wheeling Park for a day, you will notice the newest go-to water bottle, the Stanley, which has been taking over Wheeling Park.

“I like how it keeps the drink cold for the whole day and the ice is still there at the end of the school day,” said junior, Delaney Randolph. 

Because of the built-in handle and 40-ounce volume that the cup holds, the Stanley is easily recognizable and different from the common water bottle. The factor students like the most about the Stanley seems to be the insulation.

“The ice stays frozen the whole day,” Katie Jochum, 9, said. “I put ice in here last night and it will still be frozen in 24 hours.” 

Although Stanley is famous for its powerful and long-lasting insulation, some students would rather pick other water bottle brands.

Lauren Erwin, 12, said, “[Yeti’s] have so much variety to them. With Stanleys, the straw is up, so you have to spend extra money to get the plugs. With Yeti’s, you just put the straw down, and that’s your only purchase.”

Although most love Stanley’s long straw that comes attached to the bottle, other students believe this can be an inconvenience. Because of the unconcealed straw, Staley’s are prone to spillage.

“I don’t like that they spill very easily,” Ella Benner, 12, said. “If someone knocks it over in class it can spill everywhere.” 

Whether you are an advocate for Stanley’s or absolutely despise them, it will be interesting to see what if they stay in style or if a new water bottle brand emerges. For now, it seems that Stanley’s are here to stay.