From Spain to Wheeling Park: Toni Huguet

Here at Wheeling Park High School, Spanish foreign exchange student Toni Huguet is in carpentry, plays soccer, and wants to meet new people!

His family in Barcelona, Spain, includes his two older sisters and older brother. Toni arrived in America on August 5th and has been living with his host family since.

“You get in an exchange program and you have to put down your hobbies and describe you[rself],” Huguet said. “You wait until the family is matched with you and you go with this family.” Toni is part of our boys soccer team and comes with some playing experience from Spain.

“In schools in Spain, there’s lunchtime and breakfast time, each 30 minutes. During breakfast time, most of the people played soccer, so I played soccer,” Huguet said.

Toni is in the carpentry class at Wheeling Park and is amazed by the course and elective options. “The CTE classes, they are, for me, so rare to have in a school,” Huguet said.

At Toni’s previous school, there is a range of 12 grade levels, with around 20 students in each grade. Toni Huguet knew he would benefit from taking opportunities such as meeting new people and trying new things by coming to Wheeling Park High School.