CTE Makes Award for Space Gal

The Machine Tool Technolgy/Pre-Engineering class is hard at work creating an award for West Virginia native and astronaut, Emily Callandrelli.
Emily is a native of West Virginia. She graduated from WVU where she studied mechanical and aerospace engineering, and also has a Netflix series called “Emily’s Wonderland Lab.” She goes by The Space Gal and is coming in from California to be a guest speaker at an administration conference in West Virginia on the 26th and 27th of September. Mr. Fedorke said that the award is an appreciation gift from the West Virginia Department of Education Career and Technology.
West Virginia Department of Education Career and Technology thought about how cool it would be for high school students to do it. Mr. Fedorke, the Machine Tool Technology/Pre-Engineering instructor, agreed to do it because he “takes a lot of pride in the career and technology department that the school has and he takes pride in the kid’s work here at Wheeling Park”.
” I am a native of West Virginia and a graduate of CTE at Wheeling Park. My career started back in the Early 80s in manufacturing and he hasn’t looked back, so it is a lot of pride,” said Fedorke.
They decided to go ahead and develop an aluminum rocket. They started off with drawings “Drawings speak a thousand words” Fedorke stated. and it is going to be about 9 inches tall. They are using computer-aided design and computer-aided machining CAD/CAM software to design and manufacture it along with carbon-fiber 3D printers to make the booster rocket. Her name will be projected on it, and WVU will be put on the wings.
“Drawings speak a thousand words”. When will it be done? The goal is to try and get the rocket done around the 25th of September,” Fedorke said.
Students involved in the project said this is one the biggest and most publicly known projects that they have done.  Daelyn Crum, Haley Doyle, Lloyd Carnaham, and Jenna Medlen, were a couple of the many students to work on this project. Rae’lynn Jones is also another student who did a great amount of work on the rocket.
So keep your eye out for the award to be made.
View Comments (1)
$150
$500