Celebrating our State-Runner Up Girls Basketball

Jeremiah Jones

Daughtery Shoots to Score downstate in Charleston, WV.

Lily Brinker, Sports Editor

The girls basketball team fell short to the Morgantown Mohgians for the State title, 50-54.

The girls had a phenomenal season going 25-3 and state runner-ups. Our girls are also the OVAC 5A runner-ups. Their game schedule consisted of several highly-ranked teams in the tri-state area. The North Allegheny Tigers, 2021 PIAA state champions, are at the top of this list, and the Union Local Jets fall not too far behind them. Our Patriots came out on top after competing against both of these teams.

Coach Young has seen plenty have great things this season, “We played a really hard schedule, won 20 games, and I think that’s the most we ever won in school history in the regular season.” Coach Young went into every practice and game with the purpose to help his athletes, and “, to get better every day, play with each other, share the basketball, just continue to grow as a team.” Seneca Heller, a stand-out freshman, made a huge difference on the court this season, “She’s a great defender. She rebounds the ball. She is a great passer. She’s just the kid that plays the game the right way,” said Coach Young.

Point guard, Lala Woods, runs the show for our Patriots. As she practiced and played games with her team, she saw the momentum that kept them going, “Just with everyone getting along, and everyone doing good that it just helped us to keep going.” Lala was named all-tournament team, as well as Alexis Bordas.

We are so proud of our girls basketball recorded-breaking season! We can’t wait to see what next year holds for our girls.