Rollin’ Out The Mats

Rollin Out The Mats

Lily Brinker, Sports Editor

The Wrestling team will be traveling to the Washington Pool Tournament for a tri meet on Saturday, December 3rd at 9:00 AM to compete against Hedgesville and Washington High School.

Coming off a strong season, our wrestling team will be working to defend their OVAC and AAA state trophies. As well as leading his team to multiple championships last season, Coach Leggett was also named the 2022 OVAC Bill Van Horne Coach of the Year.  

“Keeping my grind up” is what, three time state champion, Erick Brothers will be doing this season to win his fourth state trophy. Brothers is going into this season feeling a little bit of pressure, “there’s definitely some pressure knowing that I could be the only four time state champion in the school’s history.” Brothers plans to lead his team through diversity this season, “I got to pick my guys up, I got to tell them to keep their head up, and not get down when they lose a match or when they’re down by a couple points, just to keep wrestling and never give up.”

Coach Leggett has been coaching for 10 years, five years at Park and five years at West Liberty University. He has plenty of experience in the wrestling world with 3rd and 7th place finishes at the NCAA Dll wrestling tournament. Coach Leggett has set the standard for his wrestlers, “there’s a lot work that has to be done, there’s a lot of expectations I hold these guys to, very high standards so in this first week of practice just getting some things under our belt, getting some reps in, and just starting moving forward and trying to complete what we did last year.” Coming into this season, our wrestlers have some competition in the race to win the state title, “University is a big dual meet for us, that’s an away one. We have Barnesville coming here this year, which is a pretty good dual meet for us too. There is also Parkersburg South, a really good team this year too,” Coach Leggett explained.

Our wrestling team has a ton of big tournaments scheduled, one of their biggest being Iron Man, a national tournament, they will only take a few wrestlers. Coach Leggett tries to schedule a lot of tournaments, “we try to simulate that state tournament at the end of the year. We wrestle a lot of weekend tournaments, we go to Washington for a really good tournament at the beginning of the year.” Coach Leggett and his wrestlers mindsets are set for this season, “coming off state championship year we look to repeat, but we know that’s not easy.”