Rivalry at The Rink

Rivalry at The Rink

Lily Brinker, Sports Editor

The hockey team will be hosting Central on the 14th of November for their second home game at the WesBanco Area. The puck drop will be at 7:00 PM.

The hockey team has a great season ahead of them after finishing state runner-ups last season with a 3-4 loss to Central. Having six seniors, and nine incoming freshmen, Coach Marcus has high expectations for these athletes to reach, “Our expectations as a team is to be prepared for the state tournament, reaching our potential at the right time to give us the best chance to win a state title.” Anna Brannare, the only girl rostered on varsity, feels that, “It’s pretty fun, sometimes it’s fun and sometimes I wish that there were more to talk to.”

Their schedule is jam-packed with experienced PA teams. Playing in the PIHL, Pittsburgh Interskalactic Hockey League, gives this team great opportunities to get better. “The PA teams give us a great opportunity to see a high level of competition. The PIHL, the league we are in, provides a lot of teams with a high level of competition that will push our team to get better throughout the year, better preparing us for the state tournament”, said Coach Black. They have big shoes to fill from last season, and Sam Kiger has confidence in how this season will play out, “I think our season will play out strong, we lost a lot of good players last year, but we have a lot of strong players still coming up this year.”

With Central being their biggest rivalry, tonight’s game is huge for our hockey team, “Our biggest rivalry this season will be Wheeling Central. They are the defending state champs and always put a good team on the ice”, said Coach Black.