Swinging Into Season

Swinging Into Season

Lily Brinker, Sports Editor

The baseball team will host University for their first game of the season on March 15th at 5:00 pm. The following day our softball team will be traveling to University for their season opener at 5:00 pm. 

Last season, the baseball team made it to the OVAC and sectional finals. Coming off of an excellent season, Coach Myers is already looking ahead, “we have a lot of players coming back, high expectations, and we’re looking forward to the season.”  Our baseball team has been conditioning since November, “we do an off-season lifting and conditioning, we usually do that 3 days a week. We work out in the pool, and we do some swimming,” said Coach Myers. They didn’t do this all alone, Coach Dunaway, an International Performance Coordinator for the Los Angeles Dodgers, worked with them during their off-season. This year, our baseball team will be playing in the McDonald’s Classic in Bridgeport, WV, “we haven’t played in it recently, but it’s a chance for us to play some teams from other areas,” Coach Myers said. There are two other participants, Morgantown and Bridgeport, and both teams have plenty of potential, “it’s pretty good competition, so we got an opportunity to play and we took it,” said Coach Myers. 

The new turf fields help our baseball and softball teams play more games. Since the field is turf, “it will be very rare to lose a game to weather, when it stops raining we will be able to play,” Coach Myers tells me. The Athletic Complex opened on March 16, 2022, and has had great success during soccer season. This will be a huge advantage for our teams to play more games.

Our softball team learned the true meaning of growth last season, “I think the accomplishment was coming back from the covid-year. We had a lot of juniors that missed their sophomore year, and I think they really developed a lot,” says Coach Durken. Our softball team is looking to make improvements this year, and make it into the playoffs, “I hope we improve enough in hitting and fielding to have a winning season this year. I think we should compete very well in sectionals, and maybe move on to regionals,” said Coach Durken. Their biggest rivalry this season is Morgantown, after going 1-1 with them last season, ¨the teams we really need to beat this year have to be John Marshall and Morgantown,” Coach Durkin says. Our softball team has been conditioning all winter long and have just recently started flex days.