Categories:

Books and Banter Club: Benefits of Reading

Books lined up on Mrs. Yost's bookshelf in her classroom.
Books lined up on Mrs. Yost’s bookshelf in her classroom.
London Miller

If you are a bookworm, this story is for you!

Wheeling Park is welcoming a new week 3 club, the Books and Banter Club! This is an after school monthly club where students get together, read a book as a class, and talk about the book they read.

“Usually it’s something that we all selected as a group and something that the kids in the group are really interested in” said Books and Banter club advisor, Mrs. Yost.

Head principal at Wheeling Park High School, Mrs. Dailer, approached Mrs. Yost about creating this club. Mrs. Dailer wanted to promote reading as a pastime and something to enjoy.

Gabrielle Contraguerro

“We came to find that a lot of students enjoy reading outside of school and we wanted to encourage them to bring that into school” said Mrs. Yost.

Rayven Hoskins-Zolman is a freshman at Wheeling Park High School. She is a part of the Books and Banter club.

“I like reading and I’ve read ever since I was younger,” said Hoskins-Zolman.

According to Junior Learning, there are many benefits to reading, including reducing stress, improving concentration, increasing imagination and enhancing your knowledge.

The first book that Mrs. Yost and the students are reading is Check & Mate by Ali Hazelwood. If you are interested and haven’t already joined the club, make sure to contact Mrs. Yost (room 333).

$300
$500