Categories:

Experience The Park: Double- Duty Patriots

Experience the Park. A phrase that is absolutely ingrained to the brains of Park students. However, some students hear that phrase, and pursue it to the fullest. These students partake in more than one of the opportunities that this school had to offer.
Marching band member and football player, Grayson Campbell, shows how he experiences the Park.
Kelsey Holeczy
Katelyn Smith
Katelyn Smith

Katelyn Smith is Senior at Wheeling Park and a member of the award winning Speech and Debate team. “The debate team means so much to me. I joined late my junior year and I never expected to love it as much as I do. I first gathered interest to join the team because I plan on becoming a lawyer and I thought it would be smart to start developing different thinking skills early. Not only do I love the challenge that debate proposes academically, but I love the people I have met on the team. I have met some of my best friends on the team and I just truly love all of them. I also love the coaches, some of my teachers, who are so supportive and work extremely hard to maintain the winning streak of 44 years. My coaches are all such amazing, strong women, and they are role models for every single person on both the speech and debate team. Overall, I am so happy I joined and I hope more people gain interest in the team because it is truly so fun to be a part of!” said Smith.

Smith is also a member of Wheeling Park’s soccer team. “The soccer team means absolutely everything to me. I have been playing soccer for around 12 years and I have developed such a love for the sport in general over time. This high school season is my best one yet. We lost many quality seniors this year, but we have 100% been holding up our own and have been very successful this season. I love love love high school soccer and I enjoy being able to experience my favorite sport with some of my best friends. I also am so thankful that I got to experience having my father as my coach for my senior year. My father, Coach Tom Smith, has always coached my brothers and I have never gotten the chance to be coached by him. Now that he is finally my coach, I absolutely love it and am so happy my last year of high school soccer has been filled with so much love and so many people that I love,” said Smith.

Taylin Holt
Taylin Holt

Taylin is a junior at Wheeling Park who has recently been re-elected as class president. Taylin is also a dedicated member of the dance team.

“For me, being part of the student council means more than a position. I’ve had the privilege of representing the junior class for what is now three school years, and it has been incredibly rewarding. Being a voice for those who have concerns or request changes for our building is something I enjoy. Everyone in our school should have the ability to have an opinion on what they think will make Wheeling Park the best place to spend our days. It means so much to be elected by my peers and be a part of the process that makes our school what it is,” said Holt.

Holt is also an avid member of Wheeling Parks dance team, “Being a part of my school is extremely important to me. As a member of the dance team I am able to experience the Park as I get to participate in home football and basketball games. It means a lot to me because I get to perform for my school alongside some of my closest friends which makes the experience all the better. This year, our competition team also has the opportunity to travel to Florida to compete for a national title,” said Holt.

Ike Aderholt
Ike Aderholt

Ike Aderholt is a Junior at Wheeling Park and a member of the soccer team. He is also involved in the carpentry program.

“The soccer team means a lot to me. It has given me many friendships and has taught me the importance of hard work. The team is like one big family and it is a lot of fun,” said Aderholt. “Carpentry is a very fun and hands-on class that teaches me a lot of helpful, real life lessons that I get to use outside of school.”

Karringtyn Miller
Karringtyn Miller

Karringtyn Miller is a sophomore and a member of the basketball and the cheerleading team.

“Basketball means to me is being a part of something bigger than myself. I have to focus on my own goals and all of my teammates, goals all at once. I’ve been playing basketball since fifth grade, and I couldn’t do any of it without the help of my parents and all of my friends. I try to work out every single day and it is a huge commitment, but nothing beats the feeling of it all paying off when we win,” said Miller.

When the buzzer sounds, Miller gets no rest.

“Cheer means a lot to me because my entire family has cheered. My mom used to be the cheer coach here and both of my sisters cheered. I have been around it all my life and sophomore year I decided to give it a try. I’ve had such a blast, learning and practicing with all of the girls. Also, having something outside of basketball to look forward to,” said Miller.

Jerome Maynard Jr.
Jerome Maynard Jr.

Jerome Maynard Jr. is a junior and a dedicated member of the speech team, the wrestling team and the Vice President of the junior class.

“Speech and Debate helped to pull me out of one of the toughest times in my life. It is a positive outlet for stress and it is a way to express my feelings in a setting of people that I am comfortable with. It helps me to build connections on a more sensitive aspect, I listen to people talk about their problems through speeches and I can relate. Whereas in wrestling we form bonds through beating eachother up every day and experiencing the weight cut together is an amazing brotherhood.” said Jerome. “Being a member of the Student Council is extremely important to me. Getting voted in by my classmates and now getting to make decisions on behalf of my class is an amazing experience.”

View Story Comments
$300
$500