Elliana Mccabe looks back on the 2023-2024 school year.
A Year in Review
May 16, 2024
Custom canva design
Take It From Us
May 16, 2024
Runners gliding over hurdles.
Track States
May 15, 2024

West Virginia Primary Election

Addy Perks
The Heritage Port archway stands firm at the bank of the Ohio river.

The West Virginia Primary Election was held on May 14th, 2024 and the much anticipated results are in!

Wheeling voters took to the polls yesterday to vote for positions such as, City Council, Board of Education and Mayor. They also had to vote either for or against the Excess Levy which provides the Board of Education with excess tax dollars to better schools within the district. The Ohio County Board of Education Levy passed with over 75% of voters approval according to the Ohio County Schools Facebook page. Voters also had to elect nominees for positions like President, Senate, and Governor that will get voted in during the general election in November.

One of the most important elections that took place was the Mayoral Race. Those in the running were J.T Thomas, councilwoman Rosemary Ketchum, Denny Macgruder, Chad Thalman, Beth Hinebaugh, and Carl Carpenter. Denny Macgruder was elected as mayor with 2675 votes. Rosemary Ketchum was a close second with 1661 votes and behind her, J.T. Thomas with 1353 votes.

The former director of Wheeling’s Sports and Entertainment Authority [Denny Macgruder], ran a campaign focused on rebuilding relationships in Wheeling and ensuring the government is bettering each area of the Friendly City. Macgruder begins his term this July and will replace Glenn Elliot who finished his second and final term as Mayor of Wheeling.

Wheeling Voters also voted for city council. Those results are as follows 1st Ward Tony Assaro Jr., 2nd Ward, Ben Seidler, 3rd Ward Jerome Henry, 4th Ward Jerry Sklavounakis, 5th Ward Ty Thorngate, and 6th Ward David Palmer.

The Ohio County Board of Education will welcome two new members Bernie Albertini and Anne Hercules. Ohio County voters also approved levies that will benefit schools, transportation services, and public libraries.

The city of Wheeling is excited to see what great things these new electees accomplish!

If you didn’t vote yesterday, you can still fulfill your civic duty by voting in the general election set for November 5th, 2024