Lacrosse Heads into States

Wheeling Park lacrosse celebrates after big win against John Marshall.

After a tough regular season schedule, the 7-6 Wheeling Park lacrosse team looks toward states. The patriots are the third seed in the West Region and will face Linsly on Wednesday, May 8th in the quarterfinal of the WVSLA state playoff. 

Offense has been a strength for park lacrosse this season. They had many close, high scoring games.

“Our offense is one of the strongest aspects of our game, and our defense has improved throughout the year. It is important that we play well on both sides of the ball,” said Owen Abraham.

In preparation for their game against Linsly, the team is trying to replicate the conditions they will face at their opponents field.

“To prepare for our first game against Linsly, we have been practicing on a grass field. Grass is a lot different than turf and last time we played Linsly our ground balls weren’t as good as we wanted them to be. It’s just little things like this that we think will help us get a victory,” said junior Sam Kiger. 

Park’s key to success will be staying focused and playing hard the whole game.

“Key to succeeding is playing all  four quarters. We’ve had a bad issue of only playing a half and then letting up in the second half. If we play all four quarters, we’ll be able to take on any team in the state,” said Kiger

The WVSLA boys playoff is a single elimination tournament with the top eight teams in the state. Wheeling Park lacrosse will take on Linsly at 6.00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 8. The winner of this matchup will move on to play either  George Washington or Wheeling Catholic Central in the semi-finals.