Senior Spotlight: Addison Perks

One of Addy’s senior photos!

Wheeling Park High School Senior, Addison Perks, best known as Addy, has had a fulfilling high school career at the Palace on the Hill.

Even though she joined The Park Press just this year, she has managed to earn herself a Best of SNO award for her “The Road to 44 Cemented” article, which she was also a part of.

“I joined The Park Press, obviously because I love Mrs. Droginske, but also because a bunch of my friends are a part of it, and it seemed like a good resource to better my writing skills,” Addy said.

Perks also has had a very successful run with the Wheeling Park Speech and Debate team, being a part of the winning streak for years 42, 43, and 44.

I love getting to write about things that I care about. And I love all the in it (The Park Press) and it’s really taught me a lot.

— Addy Perks

She also won a state title in Original Oratory at the West Virginia Speech and Debate State tournament. She is also a runner-up in Prose and Duo Interpretation.

The Park Press has also helped prepare her for what she plans to do later in life.

“I am attending West Virginia University to major in Public Relations,” stated Addy.

Addy also wrote the promotional article for this year’s musical, Mamma Mia. It helped her learn what a press release was like.

While on the Speech and Debate team, Addy worked closely with Mrs. Nelson, who saw a light in Addy.

“… (Addy) is a really wonderful student both in and out of the classroom. When I had her in my communications class, she always completed her work on time and gave some of the best performances,” Nelson states.

Addy’s all-time favorite part of high school has been her time on the Speech and Debate time.

“I’ve met so many of my closest friends, and it has given me a bunch of life skills that I will use in the future,” Perks states.

“Addy has been a really good captain. She was always organized and did her projects on time. She mentored novices and helped others to become better. She’s just wonderful in and out of the classroom,” Mrs. Nelson says.

Addison’s biggest suggestion to new Park Press members is to pick a topic you are passionate about.

Addy will truly be missed by both The Park Press staff and her fellow members of the Wheeling Park High School Speech and Debate Team. We wish her the best of luck in her freshman year at WVU!