Student Spotlight: Sam Metzner

Ryleigh Gillespie
Sam with his bowling teammate Xavier

Sam Metzner is a standout student and athlete at Wheeling Park High School. His classmates, teammates, and coaches know him as Metzy. Sam never fails to bring a smile to the students and teammates he’s around. 

Sam is a two-year member of the Wheeling Park High School bowling team. One of Sam’s bowling teammates Rynder McLeod says, “Sam is always pumping the team up even when they are not doing their best.” 

Sam is so much fun when he is with the bowling team. Sam’s bowling coach Mr.Orth says, “There’s nobody that gets more excited to bowl than Sammy does.” His love for bowling is contagious and spreads throughout the whole team. 

“When Sam is jumping up and down and gets excited then the whole team gets excited,” said Orth. 

Sam makes a great impact on the bowling team. Whether it’s calming everyone after a tough defeat or bringing everyone up when something great is accomplished, Sam is always the one to look up to on the team. 

“When everybody gets stressed or under pressure and Sam comes up and does something well Sam will flex his muscles and it just kind of relaxes everyone,” said Orth. 

In the classroom, Sam is always interested in what is happening next and is eager to learn. One of Sam’s broadcasting classmates Bailey Meredith says, “He always wants to get his work done and always makes sure he has good grades.” 

Not only is he positive at the bowling alley, but he continues to stay positive in the classroom setting as well. “He’s always just trying to do his best and continues to stay positive,” said Meredith.  

All around Sam is a remarkable student at Wheeling Park High School and is loved by many of his peers.