Win or Go Home for Boys’ Basketball as they take on Bridgeport

Aidan Forget
Senior Mykel Davis elevates for the dunk.

On March 7th the Boys’ Basketball Team will head down to Bridgeport, W.Va. to take on the Bridgeport Indians in the Class AAAA Region 1 Co-Final. The winner will move on to the State Tournament next week in Charleston, W.Va. The Patriots seek retribution as this is the second time they will play the Indians this season, losing 44-51 back in December.

“I think we have to try and get the pace of the game more up and down. They only average between 51 and 52 points a game. They just play a unique style, where they play good defense and have a solid core of guys. When they beat us down there, all eight of their players scored between four points to 12,” said Coach Jebbia, on his game plan ahead of the game.

“Our focus is to play at our own pace. We can’t let them speed us up or slow us down and we gotta go out there and get the win,” said senior Mykel Davis.

The co-final tie comes after the Patriots lost a narrow affair with Morgantown, 46-60, in the Region 1 Section 1 Final. The Patriots led at halftime by four but the Mohigans pulled away late in the third quarter, leading to the final score.

“I don’t think so, our kids played hard and regardless of what happened we still had to play another game. It was another opportunity to play at home, but we are familiar with Bridgeport,” said Coach Jebbia, when asked if he thought it was an opportunity squandered.

Tomorrow night’s game is potentially the last time the seniors will suit up in the “PARK” uniform.

“I am not very worried about losing. I am more worried about going out there and winning and advancing on to states,” said Mykel Davis.

“It’s kind of a shell shock feeling,” said senior Kaiden Davis. “I remember my first time stepping foot in the gym as a freshman and it makes it that much more emotional. It’s been a long season with ups and downs to be in the starting lineup with my teammates next to me and my family there to see it. It’s been everything I’ve ever dreamed of since I picked up a basketball.”