Cracking the Code of State Robotics 2024

The+site+where+the+robotics+team+prepares+daily.+
Jana Schodzinski
The site where the robotics team prepares daily.

Our robotics team has been working hard for months in preparation for numerous tournaments. However, as time goes on, we draw nearer to their final tournament of the year: The State Tournament. Students involved have a lot to say about the overall experience of being a team member this season. 

Lydia Bunce is an exceptional contributor to the robotics team. She is a freshman here at WPHS and is on team 62629-P. She serves as the ‘notebooker’, or the individual on the team who is in charge of documenting processes, developing communications, and practicing time management.  

“We started practicing as a team in June, so we weren’t sure if we were going to get into states, but we did. As the notebooker, I keep notes on everything that’s done at practice, take pictures, and more. I am excited for states because I will be able to watch other teams compete. My favorite part of being on the team is the family-like atmosphere,” said Bunce. 

My favorite part of being on the team is the family-like atmosphere.

— Lydia Bunce

Another stand-out member of the robotics team is Ella Wheeler. She is on team 62629-K, and her role in the process of winning is being the main coder and driver of her team. Naturally, there is a lot of pressure on her to succeed. However, she is handling it fantastically. 

“This whole year, we’ve been preparing, but it’s gotten pretty down to it these past two weeks. The state tournament is going to be held at Fairmont State University. I’m so excited to see how all the teams do! My favorite part about robotics is seeing everyone compete,” said Wheeler. 

Khadija Rizwan is yet another tremendous student involved with robotics. Her role on team 62629-W is being the ‘notebooker’, but her work ethic sets her apart from other students. Her heart and soul are set on making sure her team is doing their absolute best, which will undoubtedly result in their success in the future. 

“It is so exciting to see the hard work that has been put into our robot finally pay off. Hopefully, all of the Park teams can qualify for the World Championship, which is in Dallas, Texas,” said Rizwan. 

As you can tell, these bright students are on the road to success at States. Regardless of whether or not they win, it is clear that these individuals are setting themselves up for success. Not only do they excel in the classroom, but also in these highly competitive and stressful atmospheres. Make sure to wish the robotics team the best of luck before the State Tournament, which is March 10th-March 16th, 2024.