A Night to Remember

On February 9th, an outstanding nationwide event was held called Night to Shine, for those whom we hold near and dear to our hearts. 

Night to Shine is an event sponsored by former American football player, Tim Tebow. It is a prom for people with disabilities. Here in the Ohio Valley, we have our very own Night to Shine held at the Moundsville Penitentiary. The event is 100% cost-free for the guests. 

“Our local Ohio Valley Night to Shine was started by Kristie Crawford,” said Melissa Burkett. “Her mission was to get her church family involved in a community project.” The organization committee for this event is made up of five members: Melissa Burkett, Janet Allen, Brenda Francis, Lori Mason, and Liz Walker. 

This year marked 10 years of holding the event in the Ohio Valley, and many are proud to say this year was their first time volunteering. Personally, seeing the children and adults with disabilities have so much fun brought so much light to my eyes. 

“The best part about Night to Shine by far has to be the smiles,” said Melissa Burkett. I would also have to agree that seeing the smiles on these strong people’s faces was the highlight of the evening. Seeing all the smiles and enjoyment makes all the long hours of preparation to make sure everything is just right completely worth it. They started preparing for this event as early as October. 

Ohio Valley Night to Shine had 230 guests and over 200 volunteers helping to make this special night so amazing. “We could not do what we did without the people of our community pitching in and giving us a hand,” said Burkett. 

One of those 230 guests was one of Parks’ very own, Donavan Brisco-Carter.

“I had so much fun with my buddy,” said Brisco-Carter. He says the best parts of the night were dancing, karaoke, eating, and taking pictures. 

Night to Shine will be held again next year and we hope to see many students volunteering there!