Elliana Mccabe looks back on the 2023-2024 school year.
A Year in Review
May 16, 2024
Custom canva design
Take It From Us
May 16, 2024
Runners gliding over hurdles.
Track States
May 15, 2024

Girls’ Basketball Tops OVAC with Win VS Morgantown

Coach Bud
Girls’ Basketball Team celebrates their 13th OVAC Championship.

Girls’ basketball was crowned OVAC Champions after dominating Morgantown 68-53 at Harrison Central High School on February 3rd. The Patriots’ top scorer was junior Alexis Bordas who finished with 20 points and game MVP. The third quarter proved the main difference, with the Patriots outscoring the Mohigans 23-13 heading into the final frame.

“We talked about starting the game fast and then in the third quarter not letting them creep back in. We knew if we did that we would be in a good position to win,” said Coach Young, when asked if he made it a point of emphasis to begin the second half fast. “Going into the fourth quarter up 16 we felt like we had the game in control and our kids took care of business from there.”

Another standout performance was by the defense, only allowing Morgantown to shoot 35% from the floor.

“We basically have Lala (Woods) helping out on anything in the lanes, especially on (Lily) Jordan. She’s done an excellent job and been active. She’s been where she needs to be and our team has definitely benefitted from that,” said Coach Young.

Conference championships are nice, however this team is hungrier for even bigger hardware.

“It’s always great to win the OVAC but we definitely have bigger. One thing the OVAC does is it provides a tournament format. We are getting ready to go into that second season and I think that it will help us prepare in general for tournament-like games,” said Coach Young.

“It was great to get the title and I just wanted to do everything I could to help my team win but there’s definitely bigger goals ahead,” said Bordas. “We knew this was a big game to help us with our ranking in the state and for home court advantage for sectionals, along with just winning the title, but the main goal has always been to win a state championship and I’m set on doing that.”

Other notable scorers were Woods with 16, Natalie Daugherty with 13, and Seneca Heller with 11.

The Patriots’ next home game will be on February 20th in the Sectional Semifinal.

View Comments (1)
$125
$500