Modernization of Rustic at Wilson Lodge

If you have been up to Wilson Lodge at Oglebay in the last month, you’ve seen just how much chaos there is, and what’s to come. Funded by the Oglebay Foundation, and an EDA grant from the Federal Government, the $12 million renovation project to Wilson Lodge, with a completion goal of June of this year, may have some people worried about the potential end to the rustic appearance. Though almost everybody is super excited for the new look. 

The work being done is the renovation to the main lobby and entrance. With the raising of the parking lot to the same level as the front doors, and the addition of a roof that guests can pull under when arriving. Along with that the lobby will feature an upgrade. Then in addition to that, Sarita’s and the resort shop will combine into one area. 

“We will rearrange it(current resort shop), there will also be some seating,” said Oglebay Executive Vice President Rod Haley, speaking about the combination of Sarita’s and Resort Shop. 

Also, there will be renovations to the Glassworks, they are also putting a steakhouse for the people that enjoy higher end meals.    

There are a lot of people here at Wheeling Park who are excited about the work. “I think it’s going to be great,” said Sophomore Ike Aderholt, with many of his friends saying the same thing. 

Though with the current closure of the main entrance and restaurants. There are a few temporary changes, such as the temporary Hickman Bar and Grill, located in Hickman Lounge and the Fort Henry Room. 

“You will notice a different traffic pattern, instead of going left in front of the hotel, you will go to the right….and you will enter through the Lakeside Entrance by the Spa,” said Haley. 

Along with all of the work at the lodge, there is a new playground going in at Wheeling Park, as well as a new hydroponics system for things such as lettuce going into the greenhouse. 

Though with the lodge not seeing any renovations for several years, there was also a bit of a need for the work. 

“The overall benefit and goal is to just improve the facilities that we have and make for a much better experience,” said Haley. 

For any worries out there, the renovations are an upgrade to modern standards, and there is not going to be the loss of the rustic appearance that us locals know and love.