Park Profile: Mr. Mortakis

Stories featuring people in and around our community doing their ordinary but extraordinary things.

He is a well-known sub here at Park, but he may be better known for his head coaching of the Wheeling Central golf team. Yes, you did read that right: Mr./Coach Jim Mortakis stradles the line working at both Park and Wheeling Central Catholic. Mortakis has also been the head golf coach at Central for 11 years, and he also has been a coach for the Cross Country and Track teams at Central as well, and has coached 9 different sports, and kids from grade scholar to seniors in high school, since 1975. 

Mortakis is a very accomplished golf coach. “You fall in love with your first state championship,” said Mr. Mortakis referring to his 2018 state championship golf team, his first of 3 for golf(2018, 2022, 2023).

As well as coaching 5 individual State Champions. Though he also had 2 while being a coach for track. Not only that, but he has also coached 3 state-runner-ups for golf, and 1 with cross-country. He also has won 8 OVAC Championships as the golf coach. In that 2018 year, he also was able to get to play with/against some good teams. Though one stuck out to him as the best, “Pittsburgh (Central) Catholic was unbelievable,” said Mortakis. Pittsburgh Central Catholic went on to also win the class AAA State Championship in Pennsylvania that year. 

Through his 11 years, he himself has coached some great teams, “Last year was the best. We had 3 make all-state,” said Mortakis. He also said in relation to that, that the trip to Texas with Wheeling Park for Nationals was his favorite experience as the coach. As well as saying that the PGA East Course in Texas (one of 3 that they played), was his favorite he’s ever taken a team to in his 11 years as coach.

Mr. Mortakis may sub in for our absent teachers, but he’s all in for our Wheeling community.