Park Profile: Elena D’Angelo

Stories featuring people in and around our community doing their ordinary but extraordinary things.
Picture of Elena D’Angelo

Imagine moving across the globe and having to rebuild your whole life and career from scratch. For Elena D’Angelo, this became a reality. Through it all, she was able to pick herself up and thrive in this new country. D’Angelo and her family moved from Italy to West Virginia in 2014. From there, she had to balance work, family, and navigate through this huge change. Apart from being an excellent mother, she is also an excellent businesswoman. D’Angelo started her own remodeling business and it’s been growing ever since. 

Moving to America was a big change for D’Angelo. “It was a very difficult decision,” said D’Angelo. “I was leaving a career and I was anxious to leave what I had built over 13 years of work. I didn’t know how good it would be to have my kids grow up away from their family… It was difficult because of the language, because I didn’t know anyone, so I had to remake some friendships which was very hard.” “America is completely different from Italy,” said D’Angelo. “The culture is different. The food is different, socializing here is different, everything is more “extreme” in America, from religion to work to sports.”

D’Angelo was an architect in Italy and got her contractor’s license in the United States. With it, she was able to open her own remodeling company. “In  America, I am a licensed residential contractor. In Italy, I was an architect,” said D’Angelo. “It was too difficult to transfer the architect title from Italy to America, so I got my contractor’s license and have been remodeling houses ever since.” “[My favorite thing about my job is] the creativity, the satisfaction of bringing back old, forgotten houses,” said D’Angelo. “When I remodel houses, in the months it takes I meet the neighbors and build connections with them. It’s extremely satisfying seeing it all come together.”

D’Angelo is also a mother of two. “I have to organize my day around my kids,” said D’Angelo. “I work while my kids are at school, and stay with them when they need me most.” “[My favorite thing about my family are] my kids.” said D’Angelo. “I love seeing them grow. I love how different they are from each other. I like seeing how the influence of me and their dad has shaped them today.”

Having to start over can be intimidating and stressful. Like everything, it can be overcome with determination and will. D’Angelo is a perfect example of a strong woman who built everything she has by herself.