Run for the Ring

Sam Andy Classic Kickstarts the Season
Jeremiah Jones
Sam Andy Classic

The Boys basketball team kicked off their season Friday, December 1st at the Sam Andy Classic in the Wesbanco Arena. The boys dominated local rival, John Marshall, 71-35. 

“We started this in 2017. Of course Coach Andy was the first basketball coach here, so when he passed, we wanted to do something special for him, and I’m excited because we have really all close, local teams. Of course Wheeling Park, boys and girls, John Marshall, boys and girls, and then Brooke, boys, St.C, boys,” said head boys basketball coach, Coach Jebbia about the annual Sam Andy Classic. 

Last season, our boys went 16-9. They fell to Bridgeport by one point in the Regional semi-final.

“We just missed out last year. And you know, Mykel and Aiden were the only two on the team that got to play there in 2022. But the basketball season is a journey like the end of November to mid-March, and it’s a long, long time. So you can’t look too far ahead. Just try to stay in the moment,” said Coach Jebbia 

This season our boys are looking forward to getting better.

“Our guys to be good teammates, play as hard as they can, and continue to get better. I mean, that’s the main goal is just to continue to improve each week, and then the ultimate goal is to return to the state tournament,” said Coach Jebbia talking about the season ahead of them. 

They hope to move forward from their devasting loss to Bridgeport last season and punch their ticket to the state tournament, “I think the season is going to go good, and I just hope we go down to the state tournament,” said multi-sport star, Mykel Davis.

Every season, you know who’s going to be your competition. This season our boys have stacked up a challenging schedule.

“A very good schedule. You know, of course, we had to play Morgantown four times last year. They’re the defending state champ and haven’t lost to anybody. So until somebody beats them, they’re the top team, but we play obviously Parkersburg South, who has been in the finals. We picked up Huntington and Olentangy from Columbus, Ohio. Teays Valley Christian is a private school coming in next weekend on Saturday, who will be a tough game. We have a good team, we want to play good competition,” said Coach Jebbia

Basketball is a game of strength, skill, and passion, but height as well. After graduating some height, they will not be as big as last season.

“One area where we hope to improve is our rebounding. We’re not very, very big. So we’re going to need some guys to do that. So I’m just looking forward to it starting, you know, starting the season. We have, you know, obviously Aiden Davis, Mykel Davis, and Amare Johnson played a lot last year, but we’re filling in some new guys. Kaden Davis and Landon were part of the team last year, but it’ll be bigger roles this year,” said Coach Jebbia on the height on the roster this season.

Being the smaller team requires some changes.

“Do some different things. We may press some, we may have to play some zone and just really a practice emphasize the rebounding if you emphasize it, I think. When I say you know, we’re not as big, Mykel Davis high jumps six foot seven, so there’s a lot of people who’d like to have him, while you noticed he will grab some rebounds. There’s no doubt,” said Coach Jebbia.

Starting season is exciting for not just the fans, but the players who are getting back into the swing of things with their team. 

“I’m most excited about playing with all five guys on the court, and getting to know each of the guys better every day,” said star point guard, Aiden Davis.

We look forward to seeing what our boys accomplish this season!

Upcoming Home Games:

12/09 – Teays Valley Christian 

12/12 – Weir 

1/03 – Steubenville 

1/06 – Parkersburg (Senior Night)