Students made the ornaments that adorn the tree in Drivers Ed!
Students made the ornaments that adorn the tree in Driver’s Ed!
Will Medovic

For the Love of Christmas or Cheerless Conumdrum?

Mrs. Goodrich with her Christmas tree decorated with ornaments made by her students!
Merry Merry!

As we start the last month of the year, that means one big holiday celebration is quickly approaching — Christmas. Christmas started as a Catholic tradition celebrating the birth of Jesus on December 25th. However, it has expanded to also become a gift-giving holiday where we celebrate the season with the people we love most.

Christmas!
We wish you a merry Christmas!

Many families have their ways of celebrating the holiday. This means that people enjoy the holidays for many different reasons. Here’s what some have to say on why they enjoy the season.

“I love Christmas because I love to decorate the house,” said Mallory McGee, a sophomore.

“Because I get to spend the holiday with my grandkids,” said Mr. Headley, Collision Repair teacher.

“I get to play Santa Clause in my dance Christmas show so that is why I love Christmas,” said Makenzie Miller, a sophomore.

“Because it is fun to put up decorations and spend time with family,” said McKenna Dei, a senior.

“I love spending time with my family. My mom passed away over the summer so it’s important to me to spend time with my dad and little brother,” said Blake Brickner, a junior.

“I love the ways people decorate their houses and I love giving presents to my family and friends,” said Laken Staley, a junior.

“Because it is the only time my family gets together,” said Clara Demasi, a freshman.

There is a true love for the Christmas holiday around Wheeling Park. Everyone has their own traditions that help root the love of the season.

Mrs. Goodrich with her Christmas tree decorated with ornaments made by her students! (Will Medovic)
Bah-Hum Bug!
Bah-Hum Bug!

It’s that time of year, Christmas time, and with that comes many problems for the student body and faculty. Christmas can be super stressful, with super tight deadlines, winter sports and seasonal depression. Seeing that the semester is about to end, many teachers are finishing up their lessons. With this comes lots of work, big tests, quizzes and group projects.  Not to mention the overwhelming excitement, such as the music or even the crazy colors. Let us not forget the pressure and stress of buying gifts for everyone in your life. Overall, nowadays Christmas is not as fun as it used to be. 

“I don’t like Christmas because some of my family come in for the holiday and I have to clean the whole house”.

— Karma Hughes

“It has expanded into a multi-month process and If you aren’t enjoying yourself with the horrendous music they play continuously, or enjoying the tv shows, or the fact that choosing many gifts for people costs a lot of money” said Teacher, Mrs. Seals. 

“Christmas music appears way too early in the year and I think Green and Red do not go together”, said one student, Gage Canfield.

“I am not a fan of Christmas music. All I want for Christmas by Mariah Carey is my least favorite one”, said another teacher, Ms. DeSantis. 

“Some people do not have fortunate families, which may affect how people view the holiday”, said student Heath Miller. 

In my opinion, Christmas may just be a little overhyped. Sure, presents and music are fun. But they are fun at what cost? Christmas time is just a really irritating and time consuming holiday. And don’t even get me started on New Years!