Boston: A Review

Through the JEA National Journalism association, journalism students Maliah Miskiewicz and Carter Bauer, along with their adviser Isabella Droginske, traveled to Boston, Massachusetts in order to represent Wheeling Park’s journalism program and bring home new ideas, skills, as well as long lasting memories.

Mrs. Droginske applied for a First-Time Convention Grant through JEA which covered varying expenses such as flights and city transportation. She states that she “… got a message about this and thought it would be an incredible experience for myself as a new adviser and my students who are interested in journalism. I hope it helps to build our program.”

With activities and conferences involving yearbook, print journalism, broadcasting, and more, the skills encountered succeeded in variety.  “Even though I only participate in Journalism and Broadcasting at Park, I loved all of the skills I learned that I never would have thought I needed–like photography,” said junior Maliah Miskiewicz. 

Other activities such as interactive conventions, workshops and competitions which involved writing, news, and photography filled up the majority of the three’s time. Their remaining time was spent exploring the city of Boston, Massachusetts. 

“Even though I only participate in Journalism and Broadcasting at Park, I loved all of the skills I learned that I never would have thought I needed–like photography.”

— Maliah Miskiewicz

Being one of the oldest towns in America, Boston can not only call itself the city of delicious Lobster, but a beautifully historic one as well. Our crew not only visited the Boston Public Library, but also walked the freedom trail back to Paul Revere’s still standing home. History aside, Boston is also blessed with a wide variety of shopping thrills. 

After shopping their hearts out at a large variety of shops, “Don’t get me wrong, the journalism aspects to this trip were absolutely phenomenal, but the shopping was actually amazing. I loved every store we went to, but my favorites would have to be either the Brandy Melville or the Trident Book store. You can never go wrong with a book! Especially in Boston,” said junior Carter Bauer.

The National Journalism Education Association, otherwise known as JEA, is America’s largest gathering Journalism convention, where students and staff, such as our members from Park, are able to not only learn about the fundamentals of journalism, but also experience it hands-on. Offering membership for those who are involved in school journalism such as yearbook, news magazine, and broadcast journalism. 

Whether the crew was expanding their knowledge, riding the subway, or eating delicious lobster rolls, the girls were filled with new knowledge and amazing memories that will span a lifetime.