Local Legends: Roney’s Point

Scary season is upon us, and Wheeling is full of haunted locations. Cue that Jaws music, find a comfortable seat, and settle in, to learn more about the haunts of the former Roney’s Point Tuberculosis Hospital and Asylum, and the other notable Wheeling haunts in this issue. The hospital opened in 1936 as a 40 bed Tuberculosis hospital, run by the state. It turned into an asylum in the late 1940’s-early 1950’s. 

It is located on County Farm Road in Valley Grove, and people as they drive up the road will notice the remnants of the Schmulbach Mansion. Which was owned by beer baron Henry Schmulbach from 1913, until his death just 2 years later in 1915. Although unlike what some people think, this house was only affiliated with the Hospital for a few years, right after the house was sold to the County in the late 1910’s for $125,000(Equivalent to almost 4 million today). Though back in October 1975, the house was literally burned down to the studs in a fire, and only the walls remain. 

Back when it was a Tuberculosis Hospital and as a mental illness hospital, most of the nurses lived on site in houses just separate from the mansion. Also, according to WPHS Social Studies teacher Mr. Stanton, Roney’s Point was mainly for “good behavior” if you were progressing at Weston Asylum. 

So, if someone was doing well at Roney’s Point, “then you could be released back into the general population,” said Stanton. 

Though they’re many risks of going up there now. Back in the 80’s when the building was still in decent shape, it was a popular spot for teens to go try and see some paranormal Activity. Unless that is, if they didn’t get chased back down County Farm Road by the caretaker for the land.

Though now it is dangerous, as according to an Administrative Assistant at the Sheriff’s Office, the building is now “literally crumbling.” The building is constantly being patrolled by county sheriffs.